Re: (ASCEND) Woopeee... 56k ITU Decision (fwd)

At 02:49 PM 2/9/98 EST, Mitchell.Arnone@occ.treas.gov wrote:
>The V.8 tone does pose a problem that cannot be taken lightly.  First of
>all, the additional commas don't always work... I tried it.  Secondly, when
>you have thousands of non-computer-literate staff who access the enterprise
>network primarily over dial-in, getting them to insert commas when they
>don't even know how to chang phone numbers gets to be a real problem.

With the latest releases of the MAX code, 5.0Ap38 and 5.0Ap42, the v.8bis tone
should have become mush less of an issue with most of the "problem" modems.
The tone duration was shortened, and we did extensive testing with all of the
modems that we had been notified of - so that in 5.0Ap42, you should NOT NEED
TO add the comma terminations on the phone number line.

The actual V.90 spec has no requirement for the V.8bis tone, BUT I know
that for
backward compatibility with K56Flex we will be seeing/hearing it in there for
a while.

Please let me know (private email if you prefer) of any modems that are still
seeing problems *connecting* due to the V.8bis tone in the latest software on
the MAX.

Kevin