(ASCEND) NISplus + Radius = BUENO!

=),
	Ok, figured it out thanks to a little help from dejanews.  I had a
problem getting Radius to work at all using Sun's NIS+ - no passwd's were
being accepted from passwd.org_dir.  I also had the problem of how to
disallow a few users that had accounts on that machine from being able to
log in via the Maxen.  Here's what I did.

(1)
In /etc/nsswitch.conf:
	passwd: files nisplus
	passwd: compat
	passwd_compat: nisplus

(2) Put a single `+' on the last line of /etc/passwd

This effectively put me in yp compatability mode.  Radius sees nis+
passwords now.  Strange witchcraft, I know, but hey, it worked.
NOTE: Leaving out the `passwd: files nisplus' will ALLOW radius logins,
but it will DISALLOW telnet/console login (!).

As for the problem of disallowing certain accounts from gaining net access
thru Radius - I used a helpful little patch for users.c in radiusd.  It
augments the `users' file syntax so as to authenticate via group ids
(gid).  Like so:

DEFAULT-100 Password="UNIX"
	User-Service = Framed-User,
	Framed-Protocol = PPP,
	Ascend-Blah = Ascend-Blah-Blah

DEFAULT-101 Password="LOCKED"
	Ascend-Data-Service = Switched-Voice-Bearer

Now Radius will check `users' for the specific username, not finding it
it'll look in /etc/passwd, still not finding it it'll look in NIS+.  There
it'll id the username, find its gid, and deal with it accordingly.  If
the user's gid=100 then it checks the passwd.  Barring typo-stupidity
it'll then let them in.  If the user's gid=101 it kicks them right then
and there.

I got the patch from Jason Ackley (jackley@taos.com).  Apparently
Portmaster Radius has had this capability for a while now.

Thanks to all those who helped me out!
Hope this helps others,

jasonb.