Re: (ASCEND) Stable Ver for max4000's

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Darkshot wrote:

> Franz Penz wrote:
>
> > .. our Linux dialin servers have 70 weeks uptime - why did I think
> > we should change to an Ascned? :-/
> >
> > - franz penz
>
> I have a 486/33 running SCO UNIX that's been up since January 1991, but I'd
> certainly not charge anyone to use it. What's your point? ;-)

well, we have only 70 weeks uptime as we upgrade the kernel from time to
time (without particular reason). We have about 18 28,8 modems annd 12 X.75
ISDN terminaladapters running and very few dialin problems. Anyway it was
time to change to 33.6 kbps and perhaps more and implement ISDN HDLC and I
thought it will perhaps be even more stable and less expensive (in terms of
manpower to setup the system) to use a MAX.

Up to now I have spent about one week (more or less day and night :-/ ) to
figure out how to make this terminalserver process PPP after a login/passwd
(script) authentication via RADIUS and not to get this "Requested Service Not
Authorized" message. We have users with both authentication styles (direct
PPP with PAP and login script) so I have to implement both on the new system.
>From the manual and some statements in this list it should work but not for
me ;-(

After one week without any advance I doubt that there is any reason
left to use Ascend instead of a Linux PC :-((

- franz penz