Re: (ASCEND) Ascend-Third-Prompt

> > Do anyone know how to handle input for Ascend-Third-Prompt attribute?  I
> > use it as a check item in my merit radius's user file to check for the
> > user's input.  But it seems doesn't work.  Any idea!
>
> Well, since in the dim and distant past this feature was added as
> compatibility for us, I should know how it works - but I cannot remember.
> Hopefully one of my colleagues could find the details, but as some
> background - we run our own RADIUS server, very loosely based on the
> Livingston code (I think most of the original code went out the window), and
> the use we make of it is as follows:
>
> 	login: username
> 	Password:
> 	Protocol: ppp,idle=600
>
> Where the "Protocol: " prompt is the third prompt, and we use it to supply
> further information to the RADIUS server regarding the users requirements in
> the initial exchange. This is different from the challenge-response way of
> doing things, as by then the login/password has already gone to the server.
> Netcom (and others I am sure) do this by tagging stuff on after the
> username:

All correct Peter. It is passed in the first request. If you want it
to be a check item, you should be able to add it to the user's Radius
entry on the same line as the user name and password:

username Password = "UNIX", Ascend-Third-Prompt = "not-so-secret-password'

This should work with the Merit server. If you want to do more
interesting things with it, then the source is your only hope.

--
Jim Segrave           jes@demon.net