(ASCEND) Newbie Question (diagnostics mode?)

Hi, all.  I've been waffling over posting this question for a few weeks now,
but finally decided to swallow pride and ask:

I see much discussion of diagnostics mode on Max40XXs, but for the life of me
I can't seem to figure out where the debug info gets output to?  I'm
specifically looking for help with the modemdiag command on a Max4048,
5.0Ap11, but any help would be great, even (especially?) an RTFM reply.

I try enabling various debug options, and I see no output.  Is it sent out a
particular port?  To syslog? (Although I did try that, with no obvious
results.)  To a serial console somewhere?  Or is there a debug client that I
need to be running?

Anyways, sorry to waste space with this sort of question, but I just _haven't_
been able to figure it out.  Thanks for your patience.

 -Steve.