Re: (ASCEND) The comparison of 4048 to PM3 (fwd)

> I have a 4004 which has an average of 91 channels used at all times. Looking
> at MRTG i've an average of 37K through-put with a max of about 48K. At any
> given time i can still download at greater than 13 or 14 K.

Ouch.. but that explains it.. 37k is withing MAX operational limits,
but near... your users are not using it!

The ethernet is in
http://www.fe.helsinki.fi/tilastot/puntti.fe/puntti.fe.6.html

And the number of lines is use is in
http://www.fe.helsinki.fi/tilastot/modeemit/isdn.html

You can see that our users (this statistics includes also about 55
9600-14400bps modems in terminal servers) will create an avereage of
1k/user. The MAXen start to get slow somewhere above 40 channels, and a
nearly full 60 line MAX has trouble authenticating users in decent time.

As you can see from the curves, we have also ISDN users. An ascii
log file transfer, compressed with STAC and using two BRI channels,
can have several tens of kilobytes/s transfer rate.

What's intersting in MAXen is the fact that they are very democratic.

If the MAX is under load this kind of ascii transfer slows down, but
it's still tens of kilobytes. Also all the 3k modem uploads then
slow down to maybe 2k.. and the users might accept it, because it
happens in a very civilized way. The MAX is not dropping the packets,
they are just delayed.

A wild guess would be, that MAX has an upper limit for packets/s or
bytes/s, and if the offered rate is higher it buffers the packets
causing this additional delay.

Also our users would think this is normal.. and accept it and be happy..
but we have also PM3s, and they can compare different phone numbers
during different times.

They are watching this very carefully, because our telephone company
has an idiotic tariff:  first 30 minutes is cheap flat, and then
a relatively steep time dependent rate... users try to keep their
file uploads within 30 minutes.

--
Vesa Halkka                       -O___/
University of Helsinki CC:         (  /   	 vesa.halkka@helsinki.fi