Re: (ASCEND) The comparison of 4048 to PM3

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Joe  Shaw wrote:

> And I've personally done my own comparison of those same units.  Nothing
> was as flexible, reliable, configurable, or as stable as the MAX4000 we
> tested was.  Granted, we had key features we had to have implemented,
> and the Ascend met everyone of them.  Sure, some were better in all
> categories as the Ascend, but overall the MAX was the best product.

Even with the problems I've had in the past, the MAX was the best product
that we could choose.  The PM3 was a stable unit, but its features and
lackluster appearance (since perception is more important than reality)
convinced us to stay with the MAX.  In the 2.5 years this company has been
in business, we've never had problems with the ascend modems.  All other
vendors caused us headaches in one form or another, either by scripts or
PAP or incompatibility.  Lucent's PM3 is a good box, but the MAX gave us
the least number of tech support calls.

The bottom line is, the MAX is the most compatible-with-user-modems dialup
router on the face of the earth, or at least in MY experiences it has
been.  I haven't put physical hands on the max in Branson since it was
installed two years ago.  Go figure.

later...
jsb

--