(ASCEND) 6.0 thin load thru telnet?

Here is a problem I've encountered while upgrading MAX4004 from 5.0Ap36 to
6.0.0.  Unless if I read it wrong, I need to first load "restricted load"
rtik.m40 before loading "Extended load" ftik.m40.  And restricted load is
supposed to be run in a non-working environment.  Does this mean I have to
do everything through the VT-100 Control port, or can this be done through
telnet?  I believe under restricted load the ethernet IP address is gone,
thus preventing telnetting from remote location.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stephen