Re: (ASCEND) 6.0.0 finger problem

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Marc Newman wrote:

> Mine shows extra lines between entries.  I can't reproduce it because I
> backed out 6.0.0 after 6 hours (tragic ones).

Great, just what I needed to hear... :)

> After one night (actually, it apears about 30 minutes), my oldest Max
> burned up, literally.  It was down when I got up the next morning, and was
> so hot to the touch that I actually burned myself.  I have no idea if this
> was related to 6.0.0.

We find that's usually a problem with the fans.  I don't know if you've
actually pulled one of the things apart, but the fans are quite cheesy.
You'd expect that for the price your paying for the unit you'd at least
get ball bearing fans that last a while, but instead you get the little
cheap ones.  So, we've decided to start replacing the fans in our out of
warranty MAXEN because they are dying.  I'd say on average, we've got
about a 45% failure rate on out MAXEN fans.  That's just too high to keep
these things cool, especially with modem cards.

> The egg frier is my oldest Max, 3+ years old, out of warranty, so I took
> out a service policy on it today and an exchange will be here tomorrow.

We have some of those, and even some of the old MAX-HPs with the ethernet
cards.

> I guess you would say "I ain't a happy camper".  Why is it that EVERY
> x.0.0 release from ya'll takes 6 months or more to finally become
> production worthy, and then you pollute it with some new features and ruin
> it again.  I hate to sound bitter, but I have been writing code for 20+
> years and KNOW it is possible to put out a good release.

New features = new customers.  No stability = no loyalty to the product.

> Sorry if I sound bitter, but I am.  I have hundreds of thousands of
> dollars in your equipment, and am just not satisfied with the level of
> software that we get from you.  There are a LOT of other vendors out there
> now, unlike 1993 when I bought my first Max.
>
> Get to work.  Stomp out the bugs.  Make 6.0.1 WORK, FOREVER (I want a
> router that I don't have to reboot for 2 years).  I have lots of 'fire and
> forget' hardware and software.  My P400T is one of them, most of my P50
> customers would also agree.  SLOW DOWN on the features till you get ALL of
> the bugs fixed.

This brings up something I've been meaning to ask and I either missed it
if it was discussed earlier or it hasn't at all.  Why are the loads
getting so big?  I've heard that all these loads are different from one
source, but the last time I talked to an Ascend engineer he said that the
only difference in a lot of those loads was that the options weren't able
to be turned on but the code was still there (at least regarding the 5.x
branch).

Is that true?  And if it is, will we ever see loads with less than just
the options turned off in the menus.

Joe Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services