Re: (ASCEND) CRC errors

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 10:10:11PM +0200, Michiel Boland wrote:
> Surely there must be a program somewhere that can check a
> software image before it is loaded. :) (unless ascend use some
> kind of proprietary compression scheme for their images)

Ascend supplies some Unix sum(1) checksums for the released binaries.
This is of course only of limited help due to different versions of
sum(1), its pitfalls (you can byte-swap the whole file and still get
the same sum) and unavailability on some strange platforms.

It has been pronounced repeatedly on this list that md5sum values should
be supplied instead. I really can't imagine what's the problem...

BTW, if you say "downloaded with Netscape", do you mean "right mouse
button/Save Link As..." or do you just click on the file ? The latter
may be the real problem.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck  (ABPSoft)   AB10-RIPE   Xlink PoP Dresden | o |

Follow-Ups: References: