(ASCEND) Using AT Pauses in MaxDial

This is a fairly obscure request, but I just wondered if anybody else is
doing this and how it works.

We have a Max4000 which is just being introduced as an outgoing modem
server using MaxDial.  One of the first services we're trying to set up
is one that needs to dial an AT&T international gateway here in the UK,
wait for the prompt, and then dial the 800 number service we're actually
trying to reach in the US.  Using a normal tone modem, this would be
easy, using commas to insert a few pauses in the dial-string while we
wait for AT&T to answer and get their voice prompt out of the way.  Is
it possible somehow with MaxDial?

We're using a single 30 channel Cable&Wireless PRI and several k56 DM12
cards.

Thanks in advance for any light people may be able to shed on this.

Chris