Re: (ASCEND) 4000 as backup

At 11:52 AM 6/4/98 -0700, Michael Medwid wrote:
>We were trying to think if there was a way we could use our Max 4000 in a
>backup scenario.
>Our Cisco 3640 in Dublin has a frame connection to AT&T and subif's going
>to a number of
>smaller offices in Europe.  In the event of link failure either at Dublin
>or one of the other sites -
>we're looking to have a backup solution.
>
>Because we use EIGRP we can't just have a Euro site call Dublin and let the
>Max take care of
>routing for a while.   Our theorized solution would look like this...
>
>Paris has a Cisco2501 with a TA hanging off of it.

The TA would need to support BONDING protocol if it's going to "connect" to
the MAX serial ports....

>So in the event of frame relay failure - it brings up and ISDN call to the
>Max 4002 in Dublin.

Which has what connections to the Cisco? Ethernet, multiple serial V.35?

>Then (somehow) the Max 4002 recognizes that the ISDN call is coming from
>Paris and so all of
>the data traffic is then sent by serial connection at layer 2 to the Cisco
>3640.  The 3640 then handles
>all the routing.

Routing to the serial ports does not use RADIUS, so you would need a called
number to direct the call to a specific port (if the port is important).

>It seems as though the Max 4002 does a similar thing with a video call.  It
>gets the (say) 6 channel call and then shunts
>that data stream off to a PictureTel RPS amplifier and then onto the
>PitureTel video conf. gear.

Kinda similar....the codec needs to know which port to connect to etc.

>Anyhow - is it possible the proposed scenario could work?  Thoughts are
>appreciated.

Tell me more about the central site and how it could be hooked up....I'll
see what I can help with.

Kevin Smith			Ascend Communications...
Customer Satisfaction	...where Network Solutions never end.