Re: (ASCEND) Anyone offering DSL ?

>     I noticed a P-50 I installed today had a "switch-type" of IDSL.
> Is anyone using the other DSL's out there ? What are you charging and what are
> the costs to you ? I picked this out of the latest K56 (Lucent)  newsletter:

That entirely depends on where you live and how permissive the local lec
is.  I set one up for my father in bumblef*ck Illinois and it was quite
easy to get the dry pair from his house the a local ISP.  The dry pair
costs ~$15 a month.  I donated a 4000 to the ISP so they give the
service for free, but I'd suspect they'd charge the same as a 128K Frame
connection if it were a paying customer (~$500 from the average ISP).
I attribute the ease of this aquisition to the fact that nobody at
Illinois Consolidated could think of a reason not to give it to me or what
I could possibly want with it.

Conversly, I tried to get a dry pair in Cambridge MA and was told, in
not so many words to go tohell by then Nynex.  The now defunct "WebSecure"
claimed to have aquired a lot of it, but I think that was a fib (not to
mention a moot point now).

PacBell plans to offer ADSL to it's customers and I know that they wanted
ISP's to charge ~$60 per month fro a 384K connection where the CPE and
circuit was provided and serviced by PacBell.  This is completely
non-interoperable with any other CPE's but Alcatel, btw.  The only cost to
the ISP in this case is an ATM circuit to PacBell (DS3 only last I
checked...they weren't willing to do frazi) and the bandwidth costs
associated with that.

Over all, I doubt IDSL will make it into many homes.  It would be
wonderful as a way to offer leased lines to many businesses located in the
same office building, however, so you wouldn't have to do ether over fiber
or some such thing like that.  The costs using this model would simply be
the onetime wiring fee and the cost of a backhaul circuit, plus whatever
equiptment was necessary (a Max and a bunch of P50's would do).  You could
probably get away with charging close to $750 per 128K line in that case.
A pretty fair margin.

R. Marc