(ASCEND) Max Weirdness

We're having a weird thing happen that I wonder if anyone else has seen.
We have a large qty of Maxen in a couple of different dial pools.
Each pool is also a maxstack.

I am dialing in from a P75 at home.  It works fine.

The problem:  Once connected, I cannot telnet from my P75 (or anything on
its non-NAT real-IP ethernet) into the max to which I am connected.  This
obviously is no big deal for customers, but for me and my router tech,
it's pretty annoying.  Feels like a game of musical chairs or something.
I can telnet into all of the maxen which I am _not_ connected to!!

We are doing the 172.0.0.1 roving-max-pipeline trick -- this is how Ascend
says Pipelines should be connected to a pool of Maxen (where you can't
insure which Max you might connect to).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Dave