(ASCEND) IP Pool Depletion

We upgraded to 6.1.0 only to find out just how hard it sucked;
then we went back to 6.0.7, then back to 6.0.2.

One of the very bad problems with 6.1.0 that we found was the
aforementioned IP pool depletion bug.  Nothing like doing a 'show pool'
and learning that 37 of 48 addresses are in use, with NO ONE connected!

I ran running and screaming from 6.1.0 because of this bug and
some others -- modem calls answering with full-blown data screeches
rather than the normal burp & whistle.  It was neat.

Anyway, my question: which release introduced the IP pool depletion
bug, and how can I eliminate it?  6.0.2 and 6.0.7 both seem to have it,
although not quite as nasty as in 6.1.0.

This bug is nasty -- folks get the dreaded 'cannot negotiate a compatible
set of network protocols' fable, and that does nothing for our morale.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Dave