(ASCEND) Single workstation w/ pipeline 75

Can anyone tell me why this configuration doesn't work?

WAN to Pipeline 75 (RJ11 from wall to RJ48) on Pipeline 75 (No switch on
panel)

Crossover cable from male end to straight-through female coupler with
PCMCIA Ethernet Credit Card male end attached to coupler.

PCMCIA (10baseT with UTP) card inserted into laptop running Win95
(400.950 B) (Toshiba Tecra 740CDT)

When I use the serial port to look at the Pipeline 75, I do not see the
Hardware Config change from AUI to UTP.

Both PCMCIA cards I have tried are Plug-and-Play.  (Megahertz CC10BT/2 &
IBM Ethernet Credit Card II)

I can ping the interface from the laptop.

After well over an hour with Ascend Tech Support, I was told that the
coupler was the point of failure.  Why?

Do I need a PCMCIA card with a female terminator or is there an adapter
I can purchase to replace the straight through coupler.

Thank you in advance for any insight into my problems.

ML