Re: (ASCEND) Single workstation w/ pipeline 75

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:01:40 -0400, mary lou yakich
<icemaker@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why this configuration doesn't work?
>
> WAN to Pipeline 75 (RJ11 from wall to RJ48) on Pipeline 75 (No switch on
> panel)

** are you sure about plugging the cables into the right sockets on the
Pipe? Both the ISDN cable and the Ethernet cable will fit into both the
WAN socket and the LAN socket, i.e. mechanically. Mixing them up will
possibly kill the LAN interface of the Pipe.

> Crossover cable from male end to straight-through female coupler with
> PCMCIA Ethernet Credit Card male end attached to coupler.

** do you mean the cable supplied by ASCEND? Part-No?
Once I had many troubles with the LAN cable. It would just not connect.
With all the higher obstacles (configs, protocols, passwords etc.) I had
never really looked at the cable. Then I noticed that the link state was
OFF - UTP/RJ45 interfaces (sometimes) have an LED that indicates that
the physical link was established. The Megahertz should have one, too.
I solved the problem by replacing the cross-over cable. From that
incident on I have used my own X-O cables without failure.

> PCMCIA (10baseT with UTP) card inserted into laptop running Win95
> (400.950 B) (Toshiba Tecra 740CDT)
>
> When I use the serial port to look at the Pipeline 75, I do not see the
> Hardware Config change from AUI to UTP.

**  So you cannot ping the Pipe from the laptop (in an DOS box, "ping
100.100.100.1" with the correct IP address of the Pipe).

> Both PCMCIA cards I have tried are Plug-and-Play.  (Megahertz CC10BT/2 &
> IBM Ethernet Credit Card II)
>
> I can ping the interface from the laptop.
>
> After well over an hour with Ascend Tech Support, I was told that the
> coupler was the point of failure.  Why?

** I'd guess it's the cable and not the coupler. IF the coupler really
is straight through it does no harm.

> Do I need a PCMCIA card with a female terminator or is there an adapter
> I can purchase to replace the straight through coupler.

Funny, I have seen several PC-Card NICs, and all of them had female UTP
jacks. They are connected with a patch cable to the wall socket. How
come yours is male?

> Thank you in advance for any insight into my problems.
>
> ML

I'd check the following:
1. Make sure you use the ISDN cable from NT to WAN socket on the Pipe,
and the ASCEND X-O cable from Pipe LAN socket to PC-Card NIC.
2. Is the link LED on? If there is no LED, tough luck.
3. Try connecting the PC-Card cable directly to the Pipe. No X-O cable,
no coupler.
- if the link is ok the status display of the Pipe will indicate the UTP
interface is being used.
4. Replace the X-O cable.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

   Wolfgang

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
                         B  E  N  E  I  C  K  E
                               EDV-Beratung
        Netzwerk-Design - 3Com Solution Partner
           ISDN Remote Access - ASCEND Vertrieb
              DIGITAL Partner PC-Systeme und Server
                 ApplePoint
                    Windows NT-Netzwerke
                       Workstation Memories and Storage Solutions

Dr. Wolfgang Beneicke                                 fon +49-6223-48126
Fasanenstrasse 16, D-69251 Gaiberg                     fax +49-6223-5708
...near world famous Heidelberg, Germany