RE: (ASCEND) Ascend Max 4004 & Series56 Digital Modem Remote Gateway Probs (fwd)

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Jason Nealis wrote:

> There are also many RIP-V2 networks out there that would love to
> go to OSPF but are very hesitant to implement this on a MAX platform.

I have to agree with Jason, here, since I'm in that very situation.

I'd love to migrate our network over to OSPF and be able to clean up our
routing situation, but the one major problem spot (we are a pretty small
ISP, after all) we have is a POP with multiple Maxen that we lease from
GTE.  Due to GTE's mis-engineering, they're not stacked (each box has a
frame connection back into our NOC -- in one extreme case, two Maxes are
connected via Ethernet and share a frame T-1 between one of them and the
NOC), and though the routing gets messy there because of the bad
engineering, I have to use RIPv2 because OSPF isn't solid.

Given that we're currently badgering GTE to Do The Right Thing at that
POP, and stack them all on an Ethernet switch with a router and a
fractional DS-3 back to our NOC, I don't really have any plans to
migrate to OSPF any time soon.  I'm already wincing in advance about
stacking.

Don't get me wrong -- this isn't mindless Ascend bashing.  I like Ascend
products a lot, and I'm glad that my ISP is well on its way to being an
all-Ascend shop.  However, these are the realities of my situation, and
I've made sure that our account rep knows it.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin@premier1.net>
Chief Systems Administrator, Premier1 Internet Services, Sultan, WA, USA