Re: (ASCEND) Pipeline 130 question

Hi Marcel,
The reply from Jim Howard about turning off STAC compression is right on.
There have been some postings to that effect before. If you care to browse
months past you may find some information there.
I have some P130's connecting locations with a point to point T1's and after
some throughput testing discovered we were only getting about 1/3 of the T1
speed. I contacted support and they advised me to turn off compression saying
the time it took  to compress and decompress over a T1 actually slowed things
down. I have turned off STAC and VJ compression and the throughput has
doubled. We're now getting about 900Kbps to 1.1Mbps average with peaks of
1.2Mbps. Our CRC errors have also gone down although there weren't many to
begin with.
I still need to experiment and maybe try with VJ on and STAC off. The E-mail
I got from Ascend only said compression and did not specify any kind. We
still need to get another 400 or 500 Kbps out of our line and I'm still
waiting to hear from Ascend to see if theres anything else I can do to
increase throughput to 1.544Mbps. Try a  test with FTP or some other program
that will show throughput. Let me know if you wind up with the full 1.544,
every little bit helps.
Good luck,
Scott

Scott Starbuck        Aobe Network Group
                               423-689-7290