Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

(ASCEND) New question about bundeling

Phew ....

what a thread .... ok, as I started it let me sort some things out:

Situation:

We (A Swiss ISP) have some locations at Zuerich. In the city we use as you called dry copper with Ascend/Lucent equipment to provide xDSL services to our customers (permanent Internet Access ranging from 64kbps to 2.3kbps). As the city is too big (yes I know its small compared to U.S. cities but its the biggest in Switzerland ;-) ...) to server everything from one location we have several POP's in the city so that the distance is within the normal range (3-8km). Now we have two main locations where one is our main server "farm" where we have all our and our customers servers. The other location is a large xDSL POP and also has a Internet backbone connection.
Currently we are running 2 Pargain SDSL Modems at T1 Speed connected to a Cisco with V.35 and on the Cisco I bundle these to channels ... But now the traffic gets bigger and bigger. It's enought until now but I don't want to wait for too long. Now as we have 2 TNT's now at both locations my intention was to replace the current 2xT1 over dry copper with channel bundling on the tnt direct and have to possiblity to bundle more channels (about 4-5 max) as we have high speed 24 port sdsl cards in it it should work.

All this because the price structure in Switerland seems quite different.

If I want normal leased lines for the same distance I pay about 2000$ a month for a T1 .. for dry coppyer I pay about 80$. This because we have/had a monopol of our Swisscom (the old gov. Telco). New telcos are beginning to provide such lines but not in this case (they don't cover a big area yet).

So for me only the dry copper thing is a possible way. Other thing might change in price if competion on the telco market raises but I don't think that will come fast and to such a low price.

So my question now is:

What are the different possiblities to bundle channels? I know of Multi Frame Relay, are there others?
On Cisco I can do a very pragmatic way. I set to identical routes one to ther serial port1 and one the serial port2, so the first packet is send to port1, the second to port2 etc. Not quite nice, because if one link goes down packet losses occour.

Hope I showed now the backgroud. Didn't thought the discussion could go in this direction.

OK, hope someone can help now.

--
Marc Eggenberger
EveryWare AG