Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: (ASCEND) CASE NUMBER 3044442

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Matthew Smith wrote:

> <rant>
> This is a user list.  If you want solutions/help from users,

<rant back at ya>
Thanks for your rant.  I'm aware of the purpose of this list as I have
been a member since April 30, 1997.  I have already posted my problems on
this list and received very little help.

> please ask us by stating the problem.  If it is something
> that only Lucent can solve, I would suggest first going
> throught e-sight (www.esight.com).  This is the first port
> of call for support (You need to register, but it is not
> too difficult.)  Check your warranty for the contacts

I am also already a member of esight.  It's very helpful for older systems
and older TAOS versions, but does not have the information I need for TAOS
vv 7.X and 8.X.  Esight is rather useless in my cases.

> stated in that (although I think that esight will be
> part of it).  Getting an RMA should not be difficult if
> you have a support contract.

I've filled out the RMA request twice within the last 28 days.  As well as
several emails. I haven't received a call yet.  Haven't received an email
yet.  I did manage to get through to the $3/minute 900 number, but they
haven't helped me either.

> If you still have problems, try chasing up the purchase
> route (distributor/direct).  Alternatively, if you have

Thank you, I might try that.  You'd think, however, that direct
communication with Lucent for a product under warranty would be better
than trying to get a middle man involved.

> a support number, request an escalation of your case/
> speak to a manager.

It was escalated when I called the 900 number.  A lot of good it did.

> Remember, this is a USER list where USERS try to help
> USERS.  It is not a Lucent support list (although there
> are a few Lucent staff lurking on the list).
> </rant>

The few Lucent staff was who I was trying to reach.  They need to know
what kind of sorry support system they have if they haven't yet been told.

I have purchased over $200,000 of Ascend equipment since July 1997.  In
the beginning, the support was okay.  I'd get unsolicited calls from
Ascend support simply by posting my problem/question for the users on this
list (believe it or not).  Since that time, their support has greatly
deteriorated to nothing but a 900 number for me.

When I called the 900 number for this case, the person who handled the
call asked *ME* what the new command for "avm" was in the 8.0 code!  Give
me a break!  So I told him the command, my passwords, emailed my logs, he
escalated the case and came back to tell me that he was the first in their
support realm to take a call on a box with the new CSMX 'type III' cards
in a 6000.  They suggested that I downgrade to 7.2.4 to "see if it fixes
the problem". I said, "does 7.2.4 work with the CSMX cards?".  "Hold on"
he says.  Later, he comes back and tells me "he'll call me back later
today".  I didn't get a call.  I finally emailed him at which time he did
reply that I can't downgrade because of the new cards.  This machine has
been down for 28 days and my warranty is running out.  They're just
putting me off hoping I'll go away as far as I'm concerned.  They have no
concern for the small customer anymore.

</rant back at ya>

- Del