Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: (ASCEND) Pending 195 list

Are you sure the call has to die at the carrier detect to be considered
bad?

    >>Pretty sure.

The only two times my maxes rebooted were under situtations where the
user
wasn't authenticated, as opposed to a bad connect.

    >>Yes, but if the user failed authentication, then you must have hit
carrier state already, so "avm" wouldn't report any bad call for that
try.

The first occasion was when a new max came in and I hadn't enabled TS
logins
and one of our customers hadn't configured their machine for PAP - he
called
about 50 times in a row and unfortunately all of those calls terminated
on
one max box. The box reset and while it was down our calls routed to a
second box that had TS enabled so he got connected.

    >>I think if terminal server is disabled, a modem user should still
reach carrier detect state before it figures out no terminal server is
available.  When this user failed 50 times in a row, did "avm" show any
suspect modems or excessive "bad calls"?  Otherwise, I think that was a
different cause of your reboot.

The second occasion was when our radius server failed, all new calls
coming
in were dropped and the box rebooted a couple minutes later. Once I
reset
the radius server everything was normal again.

    >>If the RADIUS server fails, users will still be able to get
connected successfully modemwise, but then authentication will fail.
Again, if you're Max rebooted here, it's a different case than what I
was talking about.

I'd agree it would make a lot more sense for the 'bad' flag to only be
assigned on data link level failures, but from my experience I'm no so
sure
that is the way it is...

    >>I think you're historical reboots were for some other reason.  I
was talking about reboots occuring due to the Warning 195s so they fixed
it by putting in the "Pending 195" counter.