Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: (ASCEND) ISDN over 24 Channel T1

Hi,

> Actually, I already know it is possible to terminate ISDN calls
> via a T1 (at least in the US), because I have heard from a number
> of sites who are currently doing it.  My big question is with
> regards to supporting multilink calls with a CT1.  As soon as I have
> a chance I am going to set up a test using an extra CT1 and Max4048
> that I have here.

Yes, it is completely possible.  I have just finished setting my system up
to do this very thing.  It was not an easy road for me because of
difficulties in me understanding what needed to be done by the phone company
and then relating that to them.  Also the multilink works perfectly.  My
ISDN customers are getting 112 Kbps over dual channels.

This is what it finally came down to.  The telco had to set up to send
digits on an incoming call.  They send one set of digits such as 555-1234
for an analog call and they send different digits for an ISDN call such as
555-4321.  These dont even have to be phone numbers.  They could send 123
for a digital call.

The Max then will differentiate a digital call versus analog call using DNIS
(dialed number ID service?)  On the Max, you have to make a few changes.
Set it up to collect DNIS:

Net/T1>Line Config>Factory>Line 1>Collect DNIS/ANI=yes
Net/T1>Line Config>Factory>Line 2>Collect DNIS/ANI=yes

Also you will enter the digits that are being sent for a digital call:

Ethernet>Mod Config>WAN Options>Answer#1=5554321
(set this to the same as the digits that the telco is sending for a digital
call)

That is it.  Now when a call comes in, regardless of the customer dialed,
the telco switch should recognize that it is a digital call and transmit the
5554321 to the Max.  The max sees these digits and routes the call to the
digital processor rather than a modem.  If an analog call comes in, it will
not recognized the digits, so it will not try to send it to the digital
processor, but instead will send it to a modem port.

The hardest part is to find someone at the Telco who good with translations
and who will help you out.  If your Telco happens to be Sprint, I can put
you in touch with someone.

I hope this helps.

Dennis Duval