HDD wackiness, and a question (Was: Boot Problems)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Clark Whiting wrote:

> Geez -- now you tell me.
> I bought a 2550A Big Foot a little over a year ago and I'm having
> problems with it already. The heads like to stick and I have to
> literally pick up the front of my computer and drop it an inch or
> two. Anybody heard good/bad things about that 6Gig drive Computer
> City is selling for $150?

Wow, that's a good one. I'll remember this the next time someone tells me
that Macs are overpriced... ;)

Anyway, I wouldn't trust a disk that big that costs that little -- I bet
you'll be getting more of the same thing you have now.

Which brings me to my question: What are the well-loved and well-trusted
brands and models of hard disk to buy? I'm shopping for a SCSI HDD at
least 2GB in size, but I'm sort of nervous about reliability issues.
Reliability is more important to me than speed. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/
Digital Media Center : www.umn.edu/dmc/