Re: [TCLUG:1152] cable modems from mediaone

yes.. the install charge is $110, the other 300 is for the DSL router/modem
box, and an ethernet card.. you can save some money and use your own ethernet
card..

like the normal cable service.. you rent the box from the cable company.

at time of writing this.. MediaOne is installing ONE WAY cable modems in most
areas.. this meens that you will have to have a seperate phone line to use as
an upload port, the cable is download only.  that meens that to get a dedicated
connection will cost an extra $20 or so a month for a second phone line.. with
upload of 33.6

DSL is 2 way, same ratio 256, 512, 768, and 1MB (then it goes to different
ratios)  from talking to a USWest rep.. you _CAN_ get the free DSL box and
ethernet card if you get the 512k package.. which will cost you an extra 30 a
month.. and you still get to keep the DSL box, and card  USWest DSL is also
currently allowing up to 8 IP addresses.. just plug an 8port hub in. :)
(i would personally still go with one of the other providers.. probably
sihope.. since my server is one hop away from sihope. :)

On 14-Sep-98 Nate Carlson wrote:
> P.S.  -- DSL will run around $20/mo extra for the phone line, and
> $30+/mo for the internet access. But this is really the way to go, I would
> _never_ trust a commercial server on a cablemodem. And the $400
> installation fee is for the router... you just pay a rental fee for the
> router on the cable network.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)