Re: [TCLUG:3624] A new subscriber...

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Palumbo wrote:

> I am teaching myseft Linux, I bought a book, Teach Yourself Lunix
> (Red Hat) in 24 Hours, ya right.

Assuming you have any spare money (yeah right), try and get *Running
Linux* by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman (published by O'Reilly) -- it's the
Linux Bible.

> Well I am having prolems with istalling the Xwindows part. I am not sure
> wether the I have a video card the I can configure the system to. The
> card came out of a 286 Northgate VGA.. any suggestions?

To start, you can always use the basic, no-frills VGA X server, which will
give you the usual 640x480 resolution and 16 colors. *All* cards work with
that server, unless the card or your monitor is monochrome only (in which
case you can use the mono server). Then you'll at least know things work
all right.

After you've got that working, try using the generic SVGA server. I'm not
sure your card will work with it, but it just might, and that's better
than VGA.

Let us know what you find out...

> Also I see the there is Linux group meeting next Saturday, and wondered
> if I could bring in my system for some help on proper intallation, or
> would I have to wait for the next intall fest?

I think it'd be reasonalbe to bring it.

---------(( Christopher Reid Palmer : www.pconline.com/~reid/ ))---------

              the characters i am, made into a word complete
                              -- Meshuggah