Re: [TCLUG:3624] A new subscriber...Video card

Well...

    I took alook at the card and found the maufacture of most of the
componets. Attached is the info that I found, buy I am not sure how to
use it to my benifit. Also I remenber when installing Linux I recieved
some messages like *86Free something was corrupted and could not be
installed... maybe that has something to do with it.

I also I tried SuperProbe and my system didn't like that for some
reason.

thanks

Palumbo

> Take a look at the card.  Some of the chips on it will have markings,
> i.e., Trident 8900c, MGA2164W, or something like that.  Write them
> down,
> for the two or three largest chips, anyway.  Assuming that you have
> another system to use for the net for now, go to your favorite search
> engine & input what you wrote down, one at a time.  You will probably
> find information which will help you determine the manufacturer/model
> of
> the card, or else the chipset is what X is looking for, and you will
> have determined which letter/number combo is the chipset.  Good Luck.
>
> Palumbo wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> >     I am teaching myseft Linux, I bought a book, Teach Yourself
> Lunix
> > (Red Hat) in 24 Hours, ya right.
> >
> > Well I am having prolems with istalling the Xwindows part. I am not
> sure
> > wether the I have a video card the I can configure the system to.
> The
> > card came out of a 286 Northgate VGA.. any suggestions?
> >
> > Also I see the there is Linux group meeting next Saturday, and
> wondered
> > if I could bring in my system for some help on proper intallation,
> or
> > would I have to wait for the next intall fest?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Palumbo
> > ICQ #17334219

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> tclug-list-help@listserv.real-time.com

   OAK Technologies OTI-067 and 037C.

   OTI037C has 256K or 512K.
   OTI-067 has 256K or 512K.
   OTI-077 allows 1MB and up to 1024x768 in 256 colors.

  3DEh index  9h (R/W):

  3DEh index 0Ah (R/W):

  3DEh index 0Bh (R/W):
  bit 5-7  (077) Chip revision. 5=OTI-077.

  3DEh index  Dh (R/W):
  bit   6  1MB if set
	7  512K if set, 256 else.

  3DEh index 11h (R/W):
  bit 0-3  Read Bank no
      4-7  Write Bank no
  Note: Some sources gives this register as 3DFh with no index.
  Note: This register apparently write only in Oak-037C.

  Bank Switching:

  Two banks exist in reg 3DEh index 11h.

  ID Oak VGA:

  if testinx2($3DE,$D,$38) then
  begin
    _OAK_37C  !!
    if testinx($3DE,$11) then
      if rdinx($3DE,$B)=5 then _OAK_077      {Haven't tested the -077}
			  else _OAK_067;
  end;

  Modes:

  (OTI 067/077)

  4Eh  T    80   60  16 (8x8)      Not all 067's
  4Fh  T   132   60  16 (8x8)
  50h  T   132   25  16 (8x14)
  51h  T   132   43  16 (8x8)
  52h  G   800  600  16 planar
  53h  G   640  480 256 packed
  54h  G   800  600 256 packed
  55h  G  1024  768   4 ??
  56h  G  1024  768  16 planar
  57h  G   768 1024   4 ??
  58h  G  1280 1024  16 planar
  59h  G  1024  768 256 planar           OTI-077 only
  5Ah  G   512  512 32k Sierra 15-bit    OTI-077 w/Sierra
  5Bh  G   640  400 32k Sierra 15-bit    OTI-077 w/Sierra
  5Ch  G   640  480 32k Sierra 15-bit    OTI-077 w/Sierra

  (OTI037C "UNIQUE" VGA)

  50h  T   132   25  16 (8x14)
  51h  T   132   43  16 (8x8)
  52h  G   800  600  16 planar