Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2675] Training server

> It's only my promise to Ted. If you all think it's in the interrest of Ted
> and the Netrek community, I may give away the source.

A promise is a promise, and you should keep it.  I can't speak for Ted,
but it is my understanding that his reason for withholding the source
was an ACM paper which he was writing at the time.  That paper is
published now, so I can't imagine why he would want to continue to keep
his code private, as it would help the Netrek community in a big way.

If you're looking for reasons to rationalize "breaking" your promise and
releasing the code, I think there are plenty.  But ultimately, it boils
down to what you choose.  Netrek has survived this long without the AI
routines...

If you do decide to release the source, feel free to deposit it on
ftp.netrek.org.  :)

Dave

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2