Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3160] Developers Must Play

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 10:03:29PM -0400, Dave Ahn wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 09:04:20AM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> > Another suggestion ... code in a system() call on a per-frame basis on
> > COW playback that will run an external program ... then on a server we
> > could run a virtual X server, capture the window, encoded it as GIF, and
> > make a series of frames for delivery by HTTP on demand.
> Um, you're kidding, right James?  :)

No!

Which bit do you consider difficult?  We have the tools.  We have the
CPU and disk resources.

Checklist;
	- COW .xtrekrc with minimal information displayed,
	- modifications to COW to lock on to a specified player,
	  according to command line,
	- modifications to COW to signal an external window capturer,
	  (with signal(), or a per-frame fork()/exec())
	- virtual X server; quite available, Xvfb
	- window capture; xwd|ppm tools at a pinch, plenty around,
	- image cropping; ppm tools again,
	- conversion to PNG or GIF, easy stuff,
	- file naming; just a bit of script work.

What have I missed?

--
James Cameron   mailto:quozl@us.netrek.org   http://quozl.us.netrek.org/