Re: (ASCEND) Who runs IDSL ?!?

At 12:33 AM 2/4/98 +0100, Winfried Haug wrote:
>Hi..
>
>> >Assuming i have a max4XXX with ONE E1 Port for dialin and dialout.
Everything
>> >works fine... now i put in a 8-port ISDN BRI Card. I have some partners,
>> >which i want to call over one specific port of this BRI Card NOT over the
>> >E1.
>> >
>> >How can i do this ?
>> >
>> >Must i use trunk groups...
>>
>> Yes.
>according to the manual (please corrct me if i am wrong), i must enable
>use trunk groups in my max and from that, the first digit is considered as
>the trunk group. But i can only use digites 4 to 9... hmm i need one for
>my E1 Ports (normalle this is 9 by default)., So i have Trunk Groups 4 to
>8... hmmm how can i get 8 Ports working with that...

There is a limitation of 6 trunk groups. If the E1s are all set to 9,
then you may consider "grouping" BRI channels/lines into the other
available groups?

>> >And the next question: why on earth does ascend use switched lines for
>> >idsl.? I think it is rather a nailed line...
>>
>> Compatibility with ISDN TAs. Switched is more flexible when inter-operating
>> with a multitude of non-Ascend ISDN CPE.
>
>ok, but you could have given all the possibility to use nailed as well.

I thought it was....I'll check on that too.

>It works with 64kb and then i neednt care for the trunk numbers, i need not
>to renumber all dial-out numbers etc...

Did you try setting "group #" in the line configurations when attempting to
use nailed setup?

>is there a technical problem if i configure nailed instaed of leased ?
>it works witg 64kb, but then the users get disconnected...

By who? Are they configured nailed at each end?

>> >(1) 128kb (MPP Session)
>>
>> TR#2675 is open on this. An alternative/workaround is to use the
>> encapsulation MP.
>yes ..
>

>> >(2) the option to dial and open the line from both sides, not only from
>> >    the pipeline...
>>
>> That is not an option. The docs should make that clear.
>yes, that explains how to do it with dialing...
>after consulting the manual, can i do it with dial-plans instead of
>trunk groups ?

No difference wrt the dial-out issue.

>or is it necessary to use trunk groups in order to use
>dial-plans ?

Yes. As dial-plans key off "trunk group" 3.

(Tech support definitely owes me one on this....!)

>> Yes, I saw this too. The problem is with MP+ calls. MP calls do work just
>> fine.
>hmmm if it works with MP ok... but the bigger problem is, how to get
>6 IDLS lines + dialin/out over 2 E1 Ports running...

I think you really need to talk to tech support live to discuss this, since
I'm not sure we are still reading from the same page (wrt dial-out capability
versus IDSL).

>> It *has* been tested in the field, but I think the MP+ feature was
broken in
>> some recent release.
>hmmm well the problem we (and some other isps here in germany have) is,
>that the manual doesnt tell anything about trunk groups etc..

Trunk groups are discussed, but maybe not clearly enough in the places you
would expect to see them. I'll take that up too with tech pubs.

>> >configuration... this must be really difficult *smile* :-)
>>
>> I'll touch base with the TAC contacts about the TR, and have someone
>> look into getting sample configurations.
>
>fine.... thanx a lot... but keep in mind. i have more idsl connections than
>trunk groups available...

Well, since you cannot dial-out from the TNT/MAX to IDSL, I wonder if that is
an issue still?

Kevin

Follow-Ups: References: