Re: (ASCEND) 6.1.0 and Winsock.dll (version 2.0)

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Mawhinney <bryanm@is.co.za>
To: ascend-users@max.bugi.com.bungi.com
<ascend-users@max.bugi.com.bungi.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 02, 1998 6:18 AM
Subject: (ASCEND) 6.1.0 and Winsock.dll (version 2.0)

>Hi folks
>
>Has anyone figured out exactly what this means yet?  From the 6.1.0
>release notes:
>
>Windows 95 machines installed with Winsock.dll (version 2.0) fail to log
>in
>successfully.You should configure Windows 95 in one of the following
>ways:
>
>1) Upgrade Windows 95 with the latest Microsoft Dialup Networking patch
>1.2, msdun12.exe.
>2) Revert to older versions of Winsock.dll.
>
>I assume that means Winsock protocol version 2?  The version number of
>my winsock.dll (as reported by win95 file properties) is 4.0.1111,
>without DUN1.2 installed.  So I doubt Ascend is referring to that
>version number.
>
>Is there an easy way of identifying problem versions?  By file size or
>time stamp, perhaps?  How many users is this going to affect?

AFAIK, the Winsock 2 files are dated 6/6/97, 2:46pm

In C:\windows\system, if you find a file named wsock2.vxd - that's Winsock
2.
If the customer installed it from the MS distribution, that will also be a
directory
in C:\windows named ws2bakup containing a batch file to roll back the
Winsock2
install. If they installed by hand, it's best to install DUN1.2 to get
functionality back.