Re: (ASCEND) HDSL PRI ?

Just make sure they are giving you a T1 interface, and *NOT* a V.35
(serial) interface and everything will be fine.

Since the Max has built in T1 CSUs, they can't supply an external CSU
for you because you won't be able to use it. Hopefully they won't
expect you to deal with a V.35 interface.

Normally when you do HDSL, you use an HDSL CSU _instead_ of a T1 CSU.
However, I have heard of HDSL equipment that converts the HDSL line
into T1, and this may be what they're using to provide you with a
T1 interface.

HDSL can be less reliable than T1 (and cheaper too!) because of the
following reasons: HDSL loops can be longer than T1 loops, repeaters
are not used along line to amplify the signal in the case of long loops,
HDSL is frequently done over 26 Gauge wiring instead of 22 Gauge, and
finally HDSL loops do not use seperate wire bundles for transmit
and receive.

That being said, HDSL is not bad for this reason. Indeed it will be
quite as reliable as T1 on the same physical curcuit. I only say
this because HDSL allows them to skimp on the circuit quality if
they want.

But if they do, and it causes trouble, you are of course justified in
complaining :-)

But again, the most important thing is, make sure they are not attempting
to deliver a V.35 interface to you.

-Phil