Re: (ASCEND) HDSL PRI ?

>The install has been postponed for a while to give us some time to get
>answers.
>The PairGain unit is a Model HRU-412, luckily the tech agreed to lose the
>card reference
>for the unit here so we could check it out.  The docs say that the unit is
>for providing a
>complete HiGain HDSL system for quickly and cost-effectively delivering T1
>temporary
>service.
>
>Any thoughts, explanations, or suggestions?

BellSouth is transitioning all T1/PRI provisioning to HDSL technology, for
several reasons, least of which is cost. Using traditional T1 provisioning
equipment is expensive, doesn't provide the fault tolerance of newer better
technologies, and in this case has a shorter loop length.

You shouldn't have a problem with the PRI. As far as the Max is concerned,
it's the same thing (the ParaGain unit takes care of that). Although there
might be binder group problems depending on what kind of lines are sharing
the binder, at both your end and the CPE end, but I doubt you'll have
problems with that.

What you *should* be asking is why you're getting dinged for the the same
price as your other PRI's, when it's only costing Bell about 1/3 the price
to provision the line! Better yet, write a letter to your PSC telling them
that advances in technology should enable Bell to *LOWER* costs instead of
keep them status quo.

Cheers,
Scott Kozicki
BlueStar Communications