Re: (ASCEND) Lots of concerns... PLEASE READ!

At 02:41 AM 6/22/98 -0400, Troy Settle wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I'm getting tired of handling helpdesk calls from users who get "Unable to
>negotiate compatible set of protocols" when they dial up to me.

This is most likely a result of the "IP pools leak" referred to in the
warning messages on the FTP site with the more recent versions of the
software. (See the latest on the 6.0.8 directory for more details).

>I go through the release notes on the various 6.0.x releases, and some of
>them advise against running them on a box with stacking enabled.

...better to be fore-warned....such problems will be fixed in later releases,
in the meantime some people would prefer to get the fixes that *are* in
there (if they are not stacking).

>I've heard of other releases that had problems with OSFP.

Not recently though?

>Then, there's the good old 5.0Ap series, but that doesn't support analog
>multi-link PPP.

Or V.90....

>Does anyone know if Ascend is going to release something soon that will
>allow me to sleep at night, knowing that there are enough IP addresses for
>everyone?

Yes. (Keeping our collective fingers crossed). We should have a release
out early this week (assuming it behaves well in SQA), that has fixes for
the very-limited-memory headroom problem (that caused some resets and
non-responsive telnet sessions), and the IP pools leak (yeah!).

>How about knowing that our 2 line customers will be able to connect both
>channels accross chassis?

I believe that stacking is OK in the 6.1.x branch.

>Can I assume that OSFP won't be broken anytime soon?

I'm not aware that we've made any changes recently, so I would be hopeful.

>What should I tell my users who've been waiting patiently for V.90 for the
>last month or so?

Hopefully, just a couple more days.

>On less critical topics:
>
>When will the max 4k code be able to talk to my telco's switch properly?
>I'd really like to be able to queisce a trunk, and know that users won't
>get a fast busy after the next disconnect (yeah, I've been over this
>several times with the telco).

Specifics? Have TAC been involved in investigating this?

>I got 4 PRIs in a group.  All of them are ISDN, NI-2, ESF, B8ZS.  I want
>to bring 1 and 3 into one MAX, then 2 and 4 into a second MAX.  The second
>PRI keeps dropping when I do this.  I even harrassed Bell Atlantic for a
>week, asking them to check and recheck their config.  They insist that
>each PRI has it's own D channel.  Yet, as soon as there's any traffic on
>the second PRI, it goes down.  Problem solved when I put 1 and 2 on the
>same box.  Is this a known problem with the Max 4k and NI-2 PRI lines?  If
>so, when will it be fixed?

What is the relationship between these PRI lines? The MAX doesn't know that
you call them 1,2,3,4 - it just sees 2 PRIs. So I don't see how it can be
involved when PRI 2 doesn't seem to work?

How is clocking setup on the MAXen? Are the PRI all configured on the MAX
with D-channels, or did you put them in an NFAS configuration?

Kevin Smith			Ascend Communications...
Customer Satisfaction	...where Network Solutions never end.