Re: (ASCEND) MAX2000 & Picturetel 4500 - anyone using this combo?

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Kevin A. Smith wrote:

> At 01:06 PM 6/17/98 +0100, Aron Bibby wrote:
> >Greets all,
> >
> >Is anyone (anyone in the world??) using a MAX2000 (E1/Q.931) with
> Host/Dual and
> >Host/AIM6 cards to connect Picturetel [4500] codecs for a video conferencing
> >system?
> >
> >The box came loaded with 5.0Ai4, but due to problems with incoming calls
> >(outgoing work peachy) I've been trying a variety of software loads, but am
> >coming across a strange problem - the Ascend answers a calls (at any
> >bandwidth) and goes through the Answer -> Handshake -> Online phase,
> >but the Picturetel won't pick up the calls.
>
> Is the PicTel configured to auto-answer? Have you tried local loop-back
> on the host ports that it's connected to? At Nx64K rates? Did you need to
> toggle any of the leads to get the codec to sync?
>
> >I've tried loads from 4.6C, 5.0A (both I and P branches) and a number from
> >the 6.0.x lot, but it makes no difference :-/
>
> I very much doubt that there have been changes to the basic IMUX part of the
> code in a VERY long time. As long as the call hit the right port, I would
> suspect some kind of codec/interface handshake issue...
>
> >Any suggestions, as it *looks* like the Ascend at fault (I have 2 Picturetel
> >systems hooked up to it).
>
> I'll go either way, but why do you say it looks like an Ascend problem
> based on
> what you've described?

As Kevin said, this _should_ work just fine.  It certainly used to work
(MB+ and MAX-classic), but you need to have both sides configured right
and have the right cabling in between.

Any chance you can post/forward the Host port config you are using on the
MAX and on the Ptel (a) what i/f you are using (e.g. X.21 V.35 etc) (b)
how the Network port is configured.  Also, it could be a cabling problem -
what are you using?

Regards,
Neale.