Re: (ASCEND) Our Ascend MAX 40XX electrical fire..???

At 12:30 PM 6/4/98 -0500, you wrote:

>We just received a call from the Ascend MAX
>product support manager... around 11:45 a.m.
>CST... he is helpful and is working with us.
>
>Our MAX 4000 that smoked... has a serial number
>of 641xxx... the old modem modules (that we
>replaced) were like 644xxx... but, the unit
>was upgraded to K56flex at the end of last year.
>

>I've found out that if you don't have a support
>contract from Ascend, you'll have to wait 10
>to 15 days to receive a replacement unit.
>
>If you do have a support contract, then your
>eligible to receive an advanced replacement.

  We had a similar situation with a 4004 that went out (wouldn't boot) just
about 11 months into operation. Similar result with Ascend, if you wanted
overnight replacement, you had to pay a HIGH core fee, or go on contract
even while the unit was *in warranty*. Fortunately for us, we had another
local ISP that had shut down services and agree'd to "rent" us their unit.
Maybe that's business someone should be in! As far as 10-15 days return,
once RMA'd... that didn't count weekends, so it should be 2-3 weeks! and
they took every bit of that time to get us the unit back.  Since that time,
the same Max4004 - now out of warranty - burned up.. Appears fans were the
first culprit, 1 of the small fans shorted, took out all the rest of them
on the 12 Vdc circuit, took out the power supply, without blowing it's
fuse, but did blow the main line fuse eventually.  I'm still working on
trying to get that unit back online myself, replaced all the obvious parts
(fans and +5 -5 +12 -12 power supply), and still not working yet.. I sure
could use a rental unit if someone had them available! Till at least I can
get an estimate from Ascend on futher repairs required.  Are there
"alternative" resources other than Ascend themselves? Or companies that do
rent out spares till repairs can be accomplished?
***** Top Net InterNet Services *****
www.top.net            (402) 291-1542
 Visit Our BBS at: www.hawgwild.com