Re: (ASCEND) P50 to P50 Bridge stays open on NT Lan

Hi Tim,

Tim Hoffman wrote:

> ... It appears that in bridging,
> there are many more broadcasts on perhaps the
> ethernet level that are not getting addressed.

...arp...if you have TCP/IP installed...

> I'd like (although I'm not wedded to the idea
> completely) to keep this a simple bridge setup. Is
> it not possible to read the hex dump at call time
> from the P50 to see exactly what broadcast was
> made, and then simply make a custom call filter to
> keep those bcasts from bringing up the link? My
> problem is deciphering the actual hex dump to do
> something with it.

And again, an old topic :-)
just to make my point clear - it is very natural that new users ask old
questions. Here I am pointing towards ASCEND: I have posted at least
twice on the subject of the debug decoder and why it cannot be released
into semi-public (i.e. it's only worth something for ASCEND users).

The facts: on day last year a decoder was put onto the ASCEND ftp site
which can decode the wdd, pppif, wandis,... hex dumps. Fairly easy to
use and incredibly helpful. No everybody is _living_ in ASCEND equipment
or RFCs. Some of us users install networks and as part of it, remote
access routers. Some simply use the boxes. If somebody from ASCEND has
already done the tough part of creating this tool, then please hand it
out to your users!

By sheer incident I was quick enough to pull the decoder.exe which was
withdrawn within a day or two afterwards. Since that time I post decoded
hex dumps on this list if someone asks for it. I have contacted the
author right away, M. Bongartz from ASCEND Inc., who did not want to
release the tool. So I feel obliged not to distribute it but it's really
A SHAME.

Maybe now some open minded spirit from ASCEND reads this (hi Ken, hi
Matt) and tries to find a way to help us. Networking is not trivial,
remote access sometimes is scrutiny, so why make life so much more
difficult? I hope that if we all howl loud enough maybe things move.

So Tim, in short, go to debug mode (^D, D), type "wdd", wait for the
line to come up, copy the packet hex dump to your mailer and I'll send
you the decoded output.

BTW, there was a hint on this list to a web site with an CGI script for
decoding...I tried it but it really came out screwed up. Try it
yourself.

Best regards,

   Wolfgang

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
                         B  E  N  E  I  C  K  E
                               EDV-Beratung
        Netzwerk-Design - 3Com Solution Partner
           ISDN Remote Access - ASCEND Vertrieb
              DIGITAL Partner PC-Systeme und Server
                 ApplePoint
                    Windows NT-Netzwerke
                       Workstation Memories and Storage Solutions

Dr. Wolfgang Beneicke                                 fon +49-6223-48126
Fasanenstrasse 16, D-69251 Gaiberg                     fax +49-6223-5708
...near world famous Heidelberg, Germany